CRAZY Hair Facts You Probably Didn’t Know
1. Each strand of hair can contain traces of 14 different elements (including gold).
2. Hair absorbs oil out of the water, working as a natural sponge!
3. Human hair is used by groups of eco-friendly volunteers to clean up oil spills.
4. The anticipation of sex makes hair grow faster.
5. The amount of weight an entire head of hair can support is equivalent to 2 elephants, or 2 TONS!
6. All of the hair follicles you’ll ever have were formed when you were a fetus (at 5 months).
7. A single strand of hair can tell you what’s in your bloodstream, such as medicine, drugs, and minerals.
8. The only thing that CAN’T be identified by hair is gender.
9. Healthy hair can be stretched up to 30% of its length when wet. If hair does not stretch back to
it’s original state, it’s lacking protein. If it snaps it is either over-proteinized or lacking moisture.
10. The average human sheds 50-150 strands of hair a day
11. The most common hair color in the world is Black, and the rarest is Red (1% of the population).
12. In 1950, only 7% of women dyed their hair. Now, that number has increased to nearly 85%!
13. All the hairs on an average person’s head, equates to over 10 miles of hair growth in 1 year.
14. On average, people have about 100,000 strands of hair on their head.
15. Hair cross-sections can be used to determine race and ethnicity:
• Asian Hair: round-shaped
• European Hair: oval-shaped
• African-American: flat-shaped
16. The first African-American hair products were created by Madam CJ Walker. She was also
the first African-American woman to become a millionaire.
17. Black hair is the most common hair color.
18. A single, healthy strand of hair can withstand about 6.5 pounds.
19. A strand of hair is stronger than a copper wire of equivalent diameter.
20. The only part of hair that is not dead is within the scalp.
21. The common thought that hair continues to grow after death is a MYTH!
22. Hair elements: Carbon (50%), Oxygen (21%) Nitrogen (17%), Hydrogen (6%), and Sulphur (5%).
23. Each hair strand has its own muscle, nerve, and blood supply.
24. On average, women spend about $800 on hair products a year!
25. Xie Jiuping grew the longest hair over 30 years measuring at 18 feet and 5.5 inches.
26. Chemotherapy causes the hair to fall out because it is intended to eliminate cells that replicate
quickly. Since hair follicle cells grow and divide quickly, they are adversely affected.
27. The harshness of ammonia causes the hair to rise to such an irreversible pH, that the cuticle will often have a hard time closing – causing fading and imminent damage. Oway Hcolor does not use ammonia.
28. Only 3% of the world’s population has natural blonde hair.
29. Finally, only 2% of people have natural red hair.
30. More than 60% of Americans have grey hair by the time they are 60 years old.